Palazzo Pitti is a beautiful palace in the center of Florence and it is situated in the first great square in the area that the Florentines call "Diladdarno" or "beyond the Arno" at the foot of Boboli.
The Palace was commissioned to Filippo Brunelleschi in the second half of the 15th century, by the banker Luca Bonaccorso Pitti.
The history of Palazzo Pitti is long with various works and extensions which have lasted throughout four centuries. The present version of Palzazzo Pitti is larger than its original smaller body dimensions which consisted of two floors covered with rustic stone ashlars. The Doric, Ionic and Corinthian orders all helped to enrich this architectural Renaissance style of austere and balance.
In 1550 the Palazzo was purchased by Cosimo of the Medici family with the intention of using it as a new residence, and in 1558 Bartolomeo Ammannati was commissioned to do work on refining the aspects of it which included the addition of large windows in the faÃ§ade and the creation of the courtyard.
The creation and construction of the grand Boboli Garden, named after the hill of the same name, was commissioned and done by NiccolÃ² Tribolo. In 1565, the addition of a vast corridor, designed in order for the family to be able to walk from the Palazzo to the Piazza Signoria protecting them from any danger of an attack, was built by Vasari. Work continued under the direction of Giulio da Paragi and in 1618 the Palazzo was extended with an addition of two other buildings with two floors each. The Palazzo's present length is due to the adjustments done by Alfonso da Parigi in 1640. The halls of entertainment on the ground floor in the summertime residence were decorated during the period of Grand Duke Ferdinando II and the first floor of the winter residence was also decorated for the event of his wedding to Vittoria della Rovere.
Great artists such as Giovanni da Sangiovanni and Pietro da Cortona were summoned to render the palace breathtakingly royal with their extraordinary workmanship.
The final addition made to the building was the Palazzina della Meridiana at the end of the 18th century done in neo-classical style.
Palazzo Pitti through time has undertaken different functions and today hosts important museums visited by tourists from all over the world.
With expositions of Silver, Chinaware, Costumes, Carriages, a Modern Art Gallery and the Garden of Boboli, it is possible to visit the splendor of a long ago epoch which has managed to stay alive through history for us to admire today.
Hotel with pool in the centre of Florence: hotel Villa Carlotta in Florence features a brand new outdoors swimming pool on the terrace, to let you rest and refresh in tranquillity in the heart of Florence. The pool measures 4x8 m and is surrounded by a relax area equipped with deck chairs. more